Let's stop the waste, shall we?
- We overproduce food, which is very bad for the environment.
- We throw away food that shouldn't be thrown away - bad for our environment.
- Have "beauty requirements" for our food which makes us throw away perfectly good food - bad for the environment.
- A lot of food never even makes it to the market - because it isn't pretty enough. Bad for the environment.
- Food left to rot produces greenhouse gases - bad for the environment.
- We waste so much food that it's like buying four bags of food and throwing away one of them. Bad for the environment.
I wrote about it before, in a post on Sustainable Eating and Cooking. And I am convinced I'll write about it again. The more I learn, the more it bugs me.
* I should have known about the radish leaves, because the dears love them - but it never occurred to me that we could eat them. Now I know better; I rinse them and use in salads, they have a nice, peppery flavour.